The Reed Memorial Library is committed to providing materials and services which meet the educational, recreational, and informational needs of all people in the community. Special emphasis will be placed on fostering lifelong learning.
CREATE YOUNG READERS: EMERGENT LITERACY Preschool children will have programs and services designed to ensure that they will enter school ready to learn to read, write, and listen.
CONNECT TO THE ONLINE WORLD: PUBLIC INTERNET ACCESS Residents will have high-speed access to the digital world with no unnecessary restrictions or fees to ensure that everyone can take advantage the ever-growing resources and services available through the Internet.
SATISFY CURIOSITY: LIFELONG LEARNING Residents will have the resources they need to explore topics of personal interest and continue to learn throughout their lives.
STIMULATE IMAGINATION: READING, VIEWING AND LISTENING FOR PLEASURE Residents who want materials to enhance their leisure time will find what they want when and where they want them and will have the help they need to make choices from among the options.
KNOW HOW TO FIND, EVALUATE, AND USE INFORMATION: INFORMATION FLUENCY Residents will know when they need information to resolve an issue or answer a question and will have the skills to search for, locate, evaluate, and effectively use information to meet their needs.
VISIT A COMFORTABLE PLACE: PUBLIC AND VIRTUAL SPACES Residents will have safe and welcoming physical places to meet and interact with others or to sit quietly and read and will have open and accessible virtual spaces that support social networking.
- Technology and E-Formats
- Lifelong Readers and Learners
- Community Awareness of the Library
- Hub of the Community
- Financial Stability
TECHNOLOGY AND E-FORMATS
Goal: The library will maximize technology to meet the community’s need for up-to-date products and services.
1. The Library will provide an adequate number of computers less than five years old with up-to-date software.
2. The Library will assist in building knowledgeable technology users by training staff and making technology training available to the public.
3. The Library will explore new software products to enhance work performance.
4. The Library will initiate a program with e-formats.
LIFELONG READERS & LEARNERS
Goal: The community will rely on the Library for programs and resources that help them explore new ideas and learn new skills.
1. The Library will nurture a love of reading from pre-natal through high-school age.
2. The Library will encourage parents to be learning partners with their children.
3. The Library will promote the value of reading to patrons of all ages.
4. The Library will encourage and support life-long learning and leisure activities.
5. The Library will enrich and support services to seniors and the homebound.
HUB OF THE COMMUNITY
Goal: The Library is the “heart of the community” by providing important services to people of all ages.
1. The Library will host programs to inspire people to become more engaged in the debates, discussions and issues of the community.
2. The Library will encourage community involvement through the Friends, Foundation and volunteers.
3. The Library will partner with other agencies, especially in co-sponsoring programs for the community.
4. The Library will provide a comfortable, safe and welcoming place for all in the community.
COMMUNITY AWARENESS OF THE LIBRARY
Goal: Publicize and cultivate the awareness of the library.
1. The library will develop a marketing plan.
2. The Library will centralize/coordinate all public relations.
1. The Library will participate in community events and activities.
2. The Library will develop/design a library logo.
3. The Library will utilize the website and social networks to promote programs and services.
4. The Library will maximize use of the new electronic sign.
Goal: Insure adequate funding so that the Reed Memorial Library can maintain a high level of service to the community.
1. Develop additional revenue streams to supplement existing state and local revenues.
2. Increase library revenue through grants.
3. Encourage community involvement in the Friends of the Reed Memorial Library and the Reed Memorial Library Foundation.
4. Continually monitor library expenses to insure that spending remains within budgeted amounts.
5. Determine the need for and a timetable, if necessary, to request additional local operating income.
Reed Memorial Library Board of Trustees
May 16, 2011